Reporting directly to the Chief Legal and Administrative Officer, this position oversees the real estate team and workflows within the Legal Department, managing a team of professionals in real estate transactions, and assists the Chief Legal and Administrative Officer with establishing appropriate controls around real estate matters. The successful candidate will be capable of managing legal matters with a commitment to the success of their direct reports. This position requires the ability to multi-task on individual projects and team goals. A valued advisor to the organization, the Real Estate Counsel will develop business relationships and work closely with business leaders across the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft, review and negotiate various contracts, land acquisition documents, and transactional documents that meet the Company’s risk tolerance and other standards.
- Effectively lead real estate professionals within the Legal Department.
- Establish and monitor quality control for legal work product.
- Identify and resolve project and business risks creatively.
- Advise business units on legal risk and compliance for their real estate initiatives.
- Provide sound, cogent legal advice related to land acquisitions and land development.
- Perform due diligence and prepare any documents related to transactional needs of land acquisition and development process.
- Monitor legal developments that affect the Company’s business.
- Must sometimes complete assignments with very short notice under extreme time constraints.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position leads two or more full-time employees and manages workflows.
- Juris Doctor from accredited law school and current law license from the State Bar of Texas.
- Minimum 5 years of experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating real estate contracts in law firm or in-house legal department. Prefer experience leading others in those settings. Land acquisition, land development, and/or homebuilding experience will be valuable but not a prerequisite.
- Demonstrated computer skills including a working knowledge of MS Office products, including Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.