Legal Secretary – WORK FROM HOME 2 days per week
The Houston office of The Firm LLP is seeking an energetic and reliable Legal Secretary to join their busy commercial litigation defense team. The ideal candidate will have previous experience working with attorneys and paralegals in the following areas of law: commercial litigation, product liability and personal injury defense. The work requires knowledge of legal, secretarial and general law office practices. We seek someone with a “team player” mindset, an interest and ability in applying critical thinking skills, and displays initiative and ownership in the team effort.
- Draft and type various types of documents, including correspondence, pleadings, memoranda and other documents specific to the litigation practice area.
- Proofread and redline work for accuracy, format, grammar, and punctuation.
- Prepare e-filings and court pleadings in federal and local courts. Must know court rules, procedures and calendaring requirements.
- Schedule/calendar appointments such as depositions, document productions, client meetings, trials, court hearings and appearances; coordinate travel arrangements as necessary.
- Handle incoming and outgoing mail.
- Perform secretarial functions associated with firm administrative tasks, including processing new client/matter requests, client bills, time reports and expense reports.
- Enter attorney and other timekeepers’ time; review for accuracy and correct errors.
- Perform other administrative tasks as may be assigned.
- At least a general working knowledge of the rules of civil procedure and e-filing in state and federal courts in Texas
- Ability to perform work with a high level of accuracy in a high-volume and deadline driven environment.
- Accurate typing of 75+ wpm and excellent computer skills, including scanning and electronic filing of documents.
- Minimum of 5 years of legal secretarial experience in a law firm or legal department is required.
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office applications including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Thorough familiarity with legal terminology pertinent to general legal concepts and specific area(s) of assignment.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through to completion.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, handle multiple tasks, and respond to changing priorities.
- Ability to work occasional irregular hours or overtime to meet client demands as needed.
- High School diploma or equivalent required; specialized secretarial certificate or degree, associate or bachelor’s degree desirable.
They offer competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, STD and LTD, life/AD&D Insurance, 401(k) savings plan, free garage parking and generous paid time off.